BLOGGER TEMPLATES - TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Final version to Ripper

Ripper Evaluation

Preliminary Task

Tuesday 22 September 2009

The Shawshank Redemption

I have chosen The Shawshank Redemption as it is a brilliant film.
Already in the beginning it sets the characters to the film as the main character is the narrator and everything is told from his point of view which I find so interesting as you already feel like you know the character.
As the narrator introduces himself and the story in the opening 'Their must be a con like me in every prison in America I'm the guy who can get it for you, so when Andy Defrane came to me in 1949 and asked me to smuggle him to Hayven in to the prison there I told him no problem' shows he is judgemental and Andy is significant throughout the film and like the famous phrase 'Never judge a book by its cover'.
I also like the camera shots as it goes around the prison with dramatic music which shows the setting and it can represent the genre crime and drama. I find interesting how the camera focuses on to the two main characters Ray the narrator and Andy the person who Ray was talking about, and what I found most interesting is that the narrator tells Andy's story as to why he is in prison 'killed his wife and others' the quotation shows that he seems really violent but then the narrator says 'he was Vice President of a large cooperate bank' shows that he was successful but then the contrast between him being a murder and the vulnerability in Andy's face as all of the prisoners are cheerful and banging the fence like a parade.
It makes the audience wonder what will happen in the story as Andy luxuriates will be taken away and he seems like a lamb being fed to lions as he looks petrified, he seems like a child as he looks up to the prison building and its so tall and it makes the prison seem like a metaphor as it is intimidating and patronising, which could represent him going in to prison and his journey which is shown through his facial emotions.
What I love the most about the opening is how it is narrated as it seems like the narrator is remembering it 'I never thought a lot about him the first time I saw him' I think this gives more heart to the film and it also shows that Andy's journey is significant throughout the film, and the narrator and then the character talks and there is no pause between the swap.
I would recommend The Shawshank Redemption as it will have you sitting on the edge of your seat as there are themes of revenge, murder, prison and friendship and it is a brilliant and memorable film as well as the lines 'Fear can hold you prisoner. Hope can set you free'.

0 comments: